Thursday, October 13, 2011

Meetings+Assessment Data=Long Day

Today was a very long day. I woke up about 20 minutes earlier than I normally do. I had every intention of getting to work extra early to work on some things and do some planning. However, I only made it in about 5 minutes earlier than I usually do. How does that work?!

Anyway, from the get-go kids were running into and around the room, arguing with each other, and not getting their morning routines accomplished. Then I remembered. Today the whole school had an hour long "field day" (read: extra recess with popsicles) as a reward for the fundraiser that was just held. It was at the end of the day. The kids were nuts!! On top of it all, we are finishing up some assessments and I still need to enter all of the data into the system.

Did I mention that I am the leader of a committee that plans all of the get-togethers for November and December (Veterans' Day celebration, Thanksgiving celebration, Christmas celebration, and a few other things)? Well, we had our first meeting after school today and we actually got quite a bit accomplished in the very short time we had.

Did I also mention that this year we have our state visit? I'm a second year teacher and this is my first state visit. I'm not completely sure what to expect, but I feel confident in my teaching, classroom, and students so I'm not too concerned. I was asked to be involved in a group that meets with the state board and answers some questions they have about the district. This meeting started at the high school when my previous meeting was ending. I walked in about 5 minutes late (shouldn't I have been early to everything today since I was up so much earlier?!). I got that burning, embarrassed feeling in my cheeks for a brief moment because all eyes were on my as I took my seat. I started reading through the questions and began to have a slight panic attack. Would I have to answer these questions on my own in front of THE BOARD? How much did I miss? Was I really qualified to be in this group? Why did they want me here when I've only taught one full year? I began taking notes on some things that came to mind and quickly learned that many of my thoughts were aligned with that of the rest of the group. Also, we will be in a room as a whole group and able to shout out our answers as we feel the need to chime in.

The meeting was over at 5 so I headed back to work to find the top of my desk again. The crazy afternoon and assessment data made my desk hard to find. At 6:30 I received a text from Hubby asking where I was. I came home to my dogs greeting me walking sideways because their tails direct the rest of their body and Hubby making the meal I suggested the day before. Knowing that my kiddos will be back tomorrow with their wild stories and comments and coming home to such a wonderful family is the best ending to this long day.

TGIalmostF! Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment